Anderson, Hugh

HUGH S. ANDERSON (b. between 1820 and 1828, Scotland; active in Petaluma 1874 or 1875 -1876) Anderson worked as an ambrotypist and paper photographer in Eureka, CA (1858-1865); Hydesville, CA (1859-1860); San Francisco, CA (1866-c.1895) and Petaluma, CA (1875-1876). Between 1875 and 1876 Anderson operated the H. Anderson’s Sunbeam Gallery at 649 Main Street, Petaluma, California. Palmquist, pgs. 82-84; Mautz, pg. 77.

Click on any thumbnail for an enlarged version and additional information on that particular portrait.

Brown Studio

BROWN STUDIO, Petaluma California. Very little information is available and very few photos exist from the Brown Studio.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Butler, Edward Payson

EDWARD PAYSON BUTLER, (b. c. 1837, Pennsylvania; active in Petaluma May 1862 - May 1863) Butler was an ambrotypist and paper photographer who took over the studio of Giles Pease Kellogg located in Petaluma on the Phoenix Block some time in May 1862. After departing Petaluma in May 1863 he worked in Watsonville, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Reno, Nevada. Palmquist, pg.143; Mautz, pg. 86.

Unfortunately, the PHL&M owns no portraits by this important, early photographer.

Crawford

CRAWFORD, 850 Main St., Petaluma, CA. Very little information is available and very few photos exist from the Crawford Studio.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Decker & Decker

GEORGE ALEX DECKER (b.1888 New York City, d. 1943) & SHIRLEY G. DECKER (b. 1895 -?); Decker & Decker (active in Petaluma between 1926 and1954) The Deckers were expert photographers and owned one of the largest studios in the North Bay. Between 1926 and 1940 their studio was located at 170 Main Street in Petaluma. In 1942 the studio was moved to 129 Kentucky Street in Petaluma. George died in 1943 and Shirley continued to run the studio until 1954 when it was sold to Kenneth and Anna Grimm. The Deckers served Petaluma for 35 years.

Unfortunately, the PHL&M owns no portraits by this important, early photographer.

Dowe, Lewis

LEWIS DOWE (b. 1838, New Hampshire; active in Petaluma between 1877 and 1880) Dowe worked in Petaluma as both a “view” and portrait photographer. After leaving Petaluma he worked in San Francisco, operated as a traveling photographer and by 1904, was working to repair musical instruments. Mautz, pg. 95.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Easterly & Co.

GEORGE BASCOMBE EASTERLY (b. 1859 Russell County, Virginia d. 1906); Easterly & Company (active in Petaluma 1892-1895) Easterly opened a studio in Petaluma in 1892 and moved to Lake County 1895.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Healy, Edwin & Addie

EDWIN RUTHVEN HEALY b. 1856 Moscow, Iowa d. 1923) & ADDIE G. HEALY (b. Petaluma, California July 1860 -?); E. R. Healy Gallery (active in Petaluma 1896 -1905+) By 1879 E. R. Healy was working as a painter in Petaluma. In 1880 he moved to Alameda, California but returned to Petaluma in 1881 to marry Ada “Addie” Gossage, a native of Petaluma. They moved numerous times but returned to Petaluma by 1896 to open the Ground Floor Photography Studio at 816 1/2 Main Street. They ran the studio together until 1905 when Edwin decided to start a mining company. Addie continued to run the studio until 1908 when they departed Petaluma for Berkeley, California. They were both buried in Cypress Hill Memorial Park, Petaluma. Palmquist, Shadowcatchers, pgs. 111-112; Mautz pg. 109.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Johnson, Bryan R.

BRYAN R. JOHNSON (b. c. 1834 New York State; active in Petaluma c. 1863 - c.1867) Johnson worked as a daguerreotypist, ambrotypist and paper photographer in San Francesco, CA (c. 1856-1857); Benicia, CA (1858); Oakland, CA (1860) and Petaluma, CA (c.1863-1867). In 1863 he established “Johnson’s Premium Pioneer Photographic Gallery” in Doyle’s Block Building on Main  Street, Petaluma and in1864 relocated his studio to Petaluma’s Phoenix Block. He later returned to the Doyle’s Block this time over the Morris Cigar Store and his cartes de visite from this location bear the imprint, “From B. R. Johnson’s Photographic Establishment, Doyle’s Building, Main Street, Petaluma.” Johnson advertised himself as doing “First Class Work” and his studio as outfitted “in the most splendid style” featuring “the late improved frosted Lites, more generally used in the Eastern Cities.” In 1865 he studied the recent improvements in photography at the gallery of Mathew B. Brady in New York City and then returned to his Petaluma studio where he continued until at least 1867. Sometime in 1867 his studio was taken over by William Henry Lentz. Palmquist, pgs. 325-326; Mautz, pg. 114.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Joslin & Co.

AMON JAMES TUFT JOSLIN (b. 1839 Rockwood, New York d. 1913 San Benito County, California) Petaluma Photo Parlors, Joslin & Co. (active in Petaluma 1893+) Joslin is associated with a controversial ambrotype taken of Abraham Lincoln in Danville, Illinois dated to May 27, 1857. By sometime in 1893, Joslin had moved to Petaluma and taken over George Ross’ Petaluma studio opposite the American Hotel on 810 Main Street. By 1910 Joslin had moved to Yreka California where he continued working as a photographer. Mautz, pg. 115.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Kellogg, Giles Pease

GILES PEASE KELLOGG (b. c. 1825 Massachusetts; active in Petaluma, 1856-1862) Kellogg is the first photographer documented as working in Petaluma. On January 10, 1856 he established Kellogg’s Daguerrean Gallery (aka Petaluma Daguerrean Rooms) on Main Street in Petaluma next door to Dr. Brown’s Drug Store. At this location he produced daguerreotypes, ambrotypes and photographs on paper. Late in 1857 Kellogg advertised that he was now producing images with “colors beautifully blended.” Kellogg married Millie D. Laird in Sonoma, California on August 26, 1858. In July of 1860 Kellogg moved his studio to the Phoenix Block,  second floor, in Petaluma and in May of 1862 Edward Payson Butler took over the studio. Images created by Kellogg are extremely rare. Palmquist, pg. 345; Mautz, pg.116.

Unfortunately, the PHL&M owns no portraits by this important, early photographer.

La Motte Studio

LA MOTTE STUDIO, On October 4, 1907 the Petaluma Argus- Courier reported that W. L. Shattuck had purchased Brown’s photographic studio on Main Street and after its renovation would be known as La Motte Studio. The paper reported exactly two years later, on October 4 of 1909, that the studio had been sold.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Lentz, William

WILLIAM HENRY LENTZ (b. c. 1845, Baltimore, Maryland; active in Petaluma, 1867-c.1870) Lentz took over the Petaluma studio of Bryon R. Johnson sometime in 1867. The imprint on the back of his cartes de visite read, “From W. H. Lentz’s (Late Johnson’s) Photographic Gallery, Main St., Petaluma.” Palmquist, pg. 364; Mautz, pg. 119.

Unfortunately, the PHL&M owns no portraits by this important, early photographer.

Maclean, Dabirma (Birma) Still

DABIRMA (BIRMA) STILL MACLEAN (b. 1875 California d. 1968 La Panza, California; active in Petaluma 1904 – 1920) Maclean was among the most prominent female photographers in California. She began her work as a photographer in her native county of San Luis Obispo and in 1904 she married and moved to Petaluma. There she continued her work with a special interest in public buildings and local scenes. In Petaluma she also produced real-photo postcards and portraits for local residents.

Unfortunately, the PHL&M owns no portraits by this important, early photographer.

Noble & Fell

SKELTON STANFORD NOBLE (b. c. 1833 Missouri; active in Petaluma 1874-1876) Noble traveled throughout California staying in numerous communities for various amounts of time. He worked in Petaluma with A. W. Fell in the Noble & Fell partnership in 1874 and sometime after operated the studio by himself as the imprint of his cartes de visit replace “Noble & Fell’s” with simply “S. S. Noble, Sunbeam Gallery, Main Street, Petaluma, Cal. Next door to Wickersham’s & Co’s Bank.” Palmquist, pgs. 420-421; Mautz, pg. 99 and 128.

A. W. FELL (active in Petaluma 1874) Fell partnered with Skelton Stanford Noble in Nobel & Fell’s Sunbeam Gallery, Main Street, Petaluma, 1874. Palmquist, pgs. 420-421; Mautz, pg. 99.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Percival, Richard

RICHARD REECE PERCIVAL (b. 1835 England -1917; active in Petaluma 1865-1875) Percival arrived into Petaluma in 1865 and took up residence at the American Hotel. He managed the “R. Percival’s Gallery Main Street, Petaluma, Cal” between 1865 and 1875. Mautz, pg. 131.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.

Reed, John Quincy

JOHN QUINCY REED (b. 1841 or 1842 Massachusetts, d.1902; active Petaluma 1874-1898) Reed worked from several different studios during his time in Petaluma. In 1874 his studio was in the “American Hall, Main Street,” thereafter it was “Over Wells, Fargo & Co’s. Ex. Office, Main St” and finally it was “Brick Block, opposite McGuire’s Drug Store, Main Street.” According to Palmquist, Reed was charged with arson for setting fire to property in Petaluma at the corner of Cleveland and College Avenues. Palmquist, pgs. 452-453; Mautz, pg. 134.

Click on thumbnails for more information on that particular portrait.