Kellogg, Giles Pease

GILES PEASE KELLOGG (b. c. 1825 Massachusetts; active in Petaluma, 1856-1862) Kellogg is the first photographer documented as working in Petaluma. On January 10, 1856 he established Kellogg’s Daguerrean Gallery (aka Petaluma Daguerrean Rooms) on Main Street in Petaluma next door to Dr. Brown’s Drug Store. At this location he produced daguerreotypes, ambrotypes and photographs on paper. Late in 1857 Kellogg advertised that he was now producing images with “colors beautifully blended.” Kellogg married Millie D. Laird in Sonoma, California on August 26, 1858. In July of 1860 Kellogg moved his studio to the Phoenix Block,  second floor, in Petaluma and in May of 1862 Edward Payson Butler took over the studio. Images created by Kellogg are extremely rare. Palmquist, pg. 345; Mautz, pg.116.

Unfortunately, the PHL&M owns no portraits by this important, early photographer.